Almost a year ago to the day we reviewed the original Palm Pre on the site. Our summary of the handset was that the operating system was great and showed some real innovation and promise for the future but that the Pre was sadly let down by poor hardware. The Pre went on sale initially on the O2 network here in the UK but sales never really reached an exciting level.
The successor to the Pre, the Palm Pre 2 was announced back in October of 2010 and looked to be a decent step up in both hardware spec and in the newer version of WebOS.
We’ll be looking closely at the Pre 2 over the next few weeks to see if HP’s influence has improved the quality of the hardware and what WebOS 2 has to offer. Our full review will be here soon.
For now take a look at the unboxing video below. You’ll notice that the Pre 2 is fussy when it comes to SIM cards, not only does it insist upon having a SIM card inserted it also must be active in order for the phone to work! So I’ll return with a demo video later too!
Palm Pre 2 specification:
- Operating System: webOS Version 2.0
- Processor: 1GHz
- RAM: 512 MB
- ROM: 512 MB
- Internal Storage: 16GB
- Display/Screen: Touchscreen 3.1″ Capacitive multitouch 320 x 480 pixels
- GSM/GPRS: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G/HSPA: 900 / 2100
- Bluetooth: Version 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate, A2DP stereo Bluetooth support
- WiFi: IEEE 802/11 b/g
- Ports: MicroUSB 2.0, Audio 3.5mm Jack
- Device Controls: Keyboard, 4 row slide-out QWERTY, Optical Trackpad
- GPS: A-GPS
- Camera: 5 Megapixels, LED Flash
- Proximity Sensor
- Light Sensor
- Audio: MP3, AAC, AAC , eAAC , AMR, QCELP, WAV
- Video: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264
- Battery: 1500mAh, Li-Ion Removable
- Dimensions: 59.6mm (W) x 100.7mm (H) x 16.9mm (D)
- Weight: 145g
Posted by: Matt