There has been a lot of activity surrounding Sony’s latest smartphone, the Sony Xperia Z, with Posters, TV and magazine commercials all over the place. Much is being made of the IP57 water and dust resistant features and this seems to be the main focus of the adverts we’re seeing at the moment.
There is a trend for phones with larger and higher resolution screens and the Xperia Z is perpetuating this with its 5 inch full HD screen. There are only a few other phones on the market at the moment with such high resolution displays, this one crams in 441 pixels per inch.
Design-wise the Xperia Z may be one of those love-it-or-hate-it phones. It has very square and straight sides that starkly contrast what the likes of HTC and Samsung are doing with their more curvy offerings. The Xperia Z certainly puts the slab in to the slab format.
In the video below you can see my looking at the hardware, checking out the OS and performing a quick benchmark. Have a look to find out how well that 1.5Ghz quad-core CPU performs!
Sony Xperia Z specification:
- 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – C6602, C6603
- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 – C6603
- 4G Network: LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 – C6603
- Dimensions: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm (5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 146 g (5.15 oz)
- IP57 certified – dust and water resistant
- Display: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
- Shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass
- 3.5mm jack
- Memory: microSD, up to 64 GB
- Internal Memory: 16 GB, 2 GB RAM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP
- USB: microUSB v2.0 (MHL)
- Camera: 13.1 MP, 4128×3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, image stabilization, HDR, sweep panorama
- Video: 1080p@30fps, video stabilization, HDR, check quality
- Secondary Camera: 2.2 MP, 1080p@30fps
- OS: Android OS, v4.1.2 (Jelly Bean), planned upgrade to v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Chipset: Qualcomm MDM9215M / APQ8064
- CPU: Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait
- GPU: Adreno 320
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 2330 mAh battery
Posted by: Matt