We all know that Samsung’s Galaxy S3 was one of the most popular phones last year and with the launch of the new Galaxy S4 just a few weeks ago Samsung are hoping that they’ve come up with another winning formula.
There really is no denying that the specification of the S4 has it sitting firmly at the top end but there’s also the top end price tag to match, costing in the region of £575 for the entry-level 16GB model all the way up to as much as £800 for the 64GB model. The prices are quite eye-watering.
However that money does buy you quite a lot from a 5″ Full HD Super AMOLED screen to the quad-core CPU that challenged the performance of almost everything else on the market.
This week, thanks to the folks over at Clove Technology, I’ve finally got our hands on a retail Samsung Galaxy S4. This is one handset that I have been looking forward to being able to play with to see how it compares to the HTC One that I now use as my primary device.
Initial impressions are that this is an awesome phone, great screen and slick performance but the build quality lets it down with a plastic design that doesn’t really match the specification and price tag which in comparison to the HTC One is just a bit of a let down not to mention very similar to the S3 of which I made the same complaint.
Those buying the 16GB model may also be disappointed with the amount of available memory that they have to play with, just 9GB out of the 16 is left for the user to store their apps.
However, the negatives above aside, the S4 performs really well, is thin and light and as mentioned already, has an awesome AMOLED screen.
Check out the unboxing and demo video below for more.
Samsung Galaxy S4 specification:
- 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G Network: LTE (market dependent)
- SIM: Micro-SIM
- Dimensions: 136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm (5.38 x 2.75 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 130 g (4.59 oz)
- Display: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches (~441 ppi pixel density)
- 3.5mm jack
- microSD, up to 64 GB
- Internal Memory: 16/32/64 GB storage, 2 GB RAM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP, EDR, LE
- Infrared port: Yes
- Camera: 13 MP, 4128 x 3096 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Dual Shot, Simultaneous HD video and image recording, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization, HDR
- Video 1080p@30fps, dual-video rec., check quality
- Secondary Camera: 2 MP,1080p@30fps, dual video call
- OS: Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
- CPU: Quad-core 1.6 GHz Cortex-A15
- GPU: PowerVR SGX 544MP3
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, temperature, humidity, gesture
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Battery: Li-Ion 2600 mAh battery
Posted by: Matt