The Sony Xperia Z1 is receiving a great deal of media coverage at the moment and you’ll probably have seen the lengthy TV commercials and billboards advertising the Z1.
The Xperia Z1 ins one of a few smartphones hitting the market with a full HD screen but one of the features that makes the Z1 stand out from the crowd is that it has an IP58 rating, meaning that not only is it dust-proof but it’s water resistant up to a depth of 1 metre. This means that you can take the Xperia Z1 with you to the local pool and take photos underwater.
Recently there have been a number of innovations in the camera phone arena. At one end of the spectrum Nokia are cramming in as many pixels as they can with the sensor on the Lumia 1020 hitting a massive 41 megapixels. At the other end of the range HTC have opted for a lower pixel count and have made the individual pixel size larger for better light gathering. Sony, of course, have their own take on the camera and the Z1 features a 20.7 megapixel shooter with Sony Exmor RS and Sony’s award-winning G Lens.
Sony have also added a wide array of image processing tools, including and AR Effect mode to add some fun animations to your pictures. Ranging from dinosaurs to ocean-life, these fully customisable themes can be easily edited.
The Sony Xperia Z1 has plenty to offer in terms of specification so in our unboxing and demo video that you can see below, we just touch on a few.
Sony Xperia Z1 specification:
- 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – all versions
- 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 – all versions
- 4G Network LTE 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1800 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 – C6903
- LTE 700 / 850 / 900/ 1700 / 1900 / 2100 / 2600 – C6906
- Dimensions: 144 x 74 x 8.5 mm (5.67 x 2.91 x 0.33 in)
- Weight: 170 g (6.00 oz)
- IP58 certified – dust proof and water resistant over 1 metre and 30 minutes
- Display: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.0 inches
- Protection Shatter proof and scratch-resistant glass
- Triluminos display
- X-Reality Engine
- 3.5mm jack
- Memory Card slot: microSD, up to 64 GB
- Internal Memory:16 GB, 2 GB RAM
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP
- microUSB v2.0 (MHL), USB On-the-go
- Primary Camera: 20.7 MP, autofocus, LED flash
- Secondary Camera: 2 MP, 1080p@30fps
- OS: Android OS, v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
- CPU: Quad-core 2.2 GHz Krait 400
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- TV-out (via MHL A/V link)
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery