A few months ago LG released the LG G2 and shortly after the LG Google Nexus 5 also went on sale. It seems that the Nexus 5 all but stole the headlines from the LG G2 which, underneath, is virtually the same as its Google-branded stable mate.
The LG G2 has also been massively popular though and particularly when the Nexus 5 was in short supply, saw strong sales figures to the later part of 2013.
It’s taken a while for us to get our hands on one to review but finally we have one here and I’m putting it up against the Nexus 5 that I’ve loved using ever since I getting that a few months ago now.
As mentioned above, the G2 and the Nexus 5 have very similar specs. The same CPU and Memory, 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 and 2GB RAM respectively. The G2 has a 13MP camera versus the 8MP shooter on the Nexus 5 and the G2 also has a slightly larger 5.2″ HD IPS screen.
Perhaps the most notable difference is with the OS and user interface, though, with the LG G2 sat on Android 4.2.2 with the omipresent LG overlay whereas the Nexus 5 has Android 4.4 KitKat and a very thin skinning.
In the video below you can see the LG G2 unboxed and in a little more detail and some comparisons to the Nexus 5. And for those of you that are all about the numbers, there’s a benchmark test too..
LG G2 specification:
- 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- 4G Network LTE 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600 / 850
- Dimensions: 138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm (5.45 x 2.79 x 0.35 in)
- Weight: 143 g (5.04 oz)
- Display: True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 1080 x 1920 pixels, 5.2 inches (~424 ppi pixel density)
- Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 2
- 3.5mm jack
- Dolby mobile sound enhancement
- Internal Memory: 16/32 GB
- 2 GB RAM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.0 with A2DP, LE
- Infrared port
- microUSB v2.0 (SlimPort), USB On-the-go, USB Host
- Camera: 13 MP, autofocus, optical image stabilization, LED flash, Simultaneous video and image recording, geo-tagging, face detection, HDR
- Video: 1080p@60fps, HDR, stereo sound rec., video stabilization, check quality
- Secondary Camera: 2.1 MP, 1080p@30fps
- Android OS, v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean)
- Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
- CPU: Quad-core 2.26 GHz Krait 400
- GPU: Adreno 330
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- GPS with A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3000 mAh battery