It looks like Amazon have been p[using the boundaries of e-paper once again with a new display technology that promises big things for your reading experience. Continuing at the typical wallet friendly price the new Kindle looks to enhance the experience for reads without all the bloat of the typical tablet. Read on for the press release
Introducing the All-New Kindle Paperwhite-The 6th Generation of Kindle
World’s bestselling e-reader family is now even better – new display technology with higher contrast, next generation built-in light, faster processor, plus brand-new reading features such as Kindle Page Flip, Smart Lookup, Vocabulary Builder, and more
Kindle Paperwhite delivers an uncompromised reading experience – unlike tablets, it’s easy to read in bright sunlight, won’t tire your eyes in the dark, weighs just 206 grams so you can read comfortably for hours with one hand, and has eight weeks of battery life
Luxembourg – 3rd September – Today, Amazon announced that the world’s most advanced e-reader – Kindle Paperwhite – is getting even better. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers. Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Paperwhite 3G are available for pre-order starting today at www.amazon.co.uk from an incredible £109.
“Kindle is the best-selling e-reader family in the world for six years running,” said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. “No one is investing on behalf of readers or pushing the boundaries of hardware, software and content for readers like this team: the new Kindle Paperwhite has brand-new display technology, the next generation of our built-in light, a faster processor, plus all of the exclusive benefits of the Kindle ecosystem like Kindle Owners’ Lending Library, free 3G, over 350,000 exclusive titles and Kindle Singles as well as great features like the new vocabulary builder, Kindle Page Flip and much more.”
Kindle Paperwhite combines the best hardware, massive book selection, lowest book prices, best reading features, best customer service, personalised recommendations, customer reviews, and more, into one seamlessly integrated service for customers. This is the reason Kindle owners read four times as many books – print and e-books – as they did prior to owning a Kindle.
Here’s what makes the brand new Kindle Paperwhite better than ever:
– New display technology with higher contrast – Kindle Paperwhite’s display is our most advanced e-reader display ever constructed. Higher contrast and better reflectivity means whites are whiter and blacks are blacker, so the pages are virtually indistinguishable from a physical book. You won’t find this level of contrast with any other e-reader display.
– Next generation built-in light – Guides light toward the surface of the display so you can read comfortably without straining your eyes.
– New, 25% faster processor – Books open and pages turn faster for a seamless reading experience.
– New touch technology – 19% tighter touch grid makes Kindle Paperwhite respond even more accurately to the slightest touches, whilst still avoiding accidental page turns.
– New Kindle Page Flip – Skim through page by page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end of your book, all without losing your place. For example, it’s now easy to quickly flip back and forth to that map of Beyond the Wall in A Dance With Dragons. See screenshots:www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepageflip.
– New Vocabulary Builder – Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context. See screenshots: www.amazon.co.uk/kindlevocab
– New Smart Lookup – Kindle Paperwhite’s Smart Lookup feature integrates a full dictionary along with Wikipedia so you can access definitions, information, and more without leaving your page or losing your place. See screenshots: www.amazon.co.uk/kindlesmartlookup
Kindle Paperwhite still includes all of the features that helped make Kindle the bestselling e-reader family in the world for six years running:
– Reads like real paper – No-glare display for perfect reading, even in bright sunlight.
– 8 weeks of battery life – Read for weeks, not hours, on a single charge.
– Weighs just 206 grams – Hold comfortably in one hand for long reading sessions.
– Built-in Wi-Fi or free 3G + Wi-Fi – Think of a book and be reading it in under 60 seconds.
– Massive selection – Over 2 million books, including the latest bestsellers, newspapers and magazines.
– Lowest book prices – Over 650,000 titles are £3.99 or less.
– Kindle Singles – Compelling ideas expressed at their natural length.
– Kindle exclusives – Over 350,000 Kindle-exclusive titles that you won’t find anywhere else, including books by bestselling authors.
– Kindle Owners’ Lending Library – Prime members who own a Kindle can choose from over 350,000 books to borrow for free, as frequently as a book a month, with no waiting and no due dates.
– Carry over a thousand books – Never leave any of your favourite books behind.
– No set-up required – Kindle arrives pre-registered so you can start reading immediately.
– Whispersync – Saves and synchronises your last page read, bookmarks and annotations across all of your devices, so you can always pick up where you left off.
– Worry-Free Archive – Automatically backs up your Kindle books in the Cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books – re-download your books wirelessly anytime for free.
– X-Ray – Explore the “bones” of a book – see all of the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places, or topics of interest.
– Time to Read – Tells you how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on your personal reading speed. See screenshots: www.amazon.co.uk/kindletimetoread
– Facebook and Twitter – Share book recommendations, highlighted sections, and meaningful quotes with friends.
– Password & Parental controls – Allows you to restrict access to the Kindle Store, Cloud, and Experimental Web Browser so you can give Kindle Paperwhite to a child without worrying.
All of these features combine to make Kindle Paperwhite the best device, and the best service, for reading. Unlike tablets, Paperwhite reads like real paper even in bright sunlight, won’t tire your eyes in the dark, weighs just 206 grams so you can read comfortably with one hand, and has a battery that lasts for weeks, not hours. That’s why many people buy both a tablet and a Paperwhite. Here’s what customers have to say:
– “First of all, reading on a Kindle is a great experience – in my humble opinion it is much better than reading on a tablet or phone. There is something about the way the screen works that seems magical and you want to keep reading it.” - RA “Bob”
– “Anyone who LOVES to read, should own a Paperwhite. I love my Kindle Fire, but I wanted to read outside in bright sunlight, so I decided to try the Paperwhite – it is wonderful, so easy to read, could not believe how easy to read.” – Connyane
– “The reading experience is much better than that from using a tablet or a smartphone…if you like to read a lot you definitely need a Kindle, and the best one available is the Paperwhite.” -Gonzalo
– “Sure, you can get LCD based readers like the Kindle Fire or iPad, but when it comes to crisp reading on a light device with long battery life, this is the one you have got to get.” – Jagadeesh
– “I use tablets for everything but reading books. For that I vastly prefer Kindles due to more natural experience, better portability and less eye strain.” – Klopus
– “I have read off my husband’s iPad and it is not the same at all, my eyes get tired super-fast. But I can read my Kindle for 2 hours straight (and often do) with no eye strain at all.” – amf0001
- “Reading on the Kindle Paperwhite is exponentially better than on a tablet. It is bliss to be able to enjoy an ebook while sipping an espresso outdoors in the afternoon and then just keep on reading through sunset till the moon rises. The E Ink screen, long battery life and relatively low price frees you to enjoy your books anywhere. It performs well under any lighting condition so I find myself just reading books all the time.” – Joseph
The new Kindle Paperwhite is only £109. Kindle Paperwhite is available for pre-order starting today at www.amazon.co.uk and starts shipping on 9th October. The new top-of-the-line Kindle Paperwhite 3G is only £169. Kindle Paperwhite 3G is available for pre-order starting today atwww.amazon.co.uk and starts shipping on 6th November.
Amazon.co.uk opened its virtual doors in October 1998 and strives to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavours to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.
Amazon.co.uk and other sellers offer millions of new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Baby, Books, Car & Motorbike, Clothing, DIY & Tools, DVD, Electronics & Photo, Grocery, Health & Beauty, Home & Garden, Jewellery, MP3, Music, Musical Instruments & DJ, Office, PC, Pet Supplies, Shoes, Software, Sports & Leisure, Toys & Games, Video Games and Watches.
Kindle is the world’s bestselling e-reader family and Kindle Paperwhite is our most advanced e-reader. It features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers. Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, features improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine – and it is available in two display sizes – 7″ and 8.9″.
Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business.
Amazon.co.uk is a trading name for Amazon EU S. à.r.l, Amazon Services Europe S. à.r.l and Amazon Media EU S. à.r.l. All three are wholly owned subsidiaries of global online retailer Amazon.com, Inc (NASDAQ:AMZN), located in Seattle, Washington.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp,www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.com.br, www.amazon.in, www.amazon.es andwww.amazon.com.mx. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
The 3G device has not been authorised yet as required by the applicable laws and regulations. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorisation is obtained.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management’s expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com‘s financial results is included in Amazon.com‘s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regardingAmazon.Co.UK Ltd’s business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company’s Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.
Posted by: Gareth