Samsung Galaxy Beam unboxing and demo video
Remember the Pico Pocket projector that we reviewed a few years ago? Well what happens when one of those mates with a mobile phone? You get offspring that look like the Samsung Galaxy Beam of course!
We never got to play with the original Beam announce a in 2010 (the i8520) and to be honest I don't even know if that made it to market in the end, maybe it was a little too soon but this new model Galaxy Beam (i8530) is on sale now and you can pick it up from the chaps at Clove Technology.
The Beam has quite a decent specification even without the projector; rocking 768MB RAM, Dual Core 1GHz CPU and 5MP camera. It may not be top of the range but add in the DLP projector and we're looking at a whole new proposition.
The nHD projector (where the hell did nHD come from?!) is 15 lumens and 640x360 pixels. It doesn't sound too bright and really it isn't but get a reasonably dark room and the little LED powered projector does a half decent job. How practical that is within real world environments is perhaps questionable. I'm not sure that rocking up to a meeting with this little device in tow and asking for the lights to be turned off and the blinds closed would really cut it nor can I see it working so well with your mates in the pub.
One disappointment is in the OS department, the Beam ships with Gingerbread 2.3.6 which I hope would see an upgrade in the very near future.
Anyway, check out the unboxing a demo video below and see for yourself.
Samsung Galaxy Beam Specification:
- 2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
- Dimensions: 124 x 64.2 x 12.5 mm
- Weight: 145.3 g
- Built-in nHD projector
- Touch-sensitive controls
- Display: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
- TouchWiz UI v4.0
- 3.5mm jack
- Card slot: microSD, up to 32 GB
- Internal: 8 GB storage, 768 MB RAM
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth: v3.0 with A2DP, HS
- Camera: 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, 720p@30fps, check quality
- Secondary Camera: 1.3 MP
- OS: Android OS, v2.3.6 (Gingerbread)
- Chipset: NovaThor U8500
- CPU: Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
- GPU: Mali-400
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- GPS with A-GPS support
- Battery: Li-Ion 2000 mAh
Posted by: Matt